Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Can I install it to a USB flash drive?

I have a dell 730xd system, 12x2T hard drive, I installed 5.2.1-002.
H730P mini card with BBU 2G cache, raid6. split 100g logic vol for boot and os.
Turn on pre-read and write cache.
It is normal in writing, but the read latency is up to 1000ms.
and other raid set 12X500g intel ssd also have high latency

in another system DELL R530 os install to a flash drive
H730P with 8x4T sas raid6 also have high latency

Can I install quantastor to a USB flash drive?

May 28, 2019 | Registered Commenterfred zhang

In short, no USB will not work, it's not suitable. It may work for a few hours but you'll find that it will quickly put the boot device into a read-only state. Use a pair of SSDs mirrored together using your H730P with the write cache in write-thru mode. That's how we configure all the boot drives for QuantaStor systems with few exceptions. The latency could be due to the IO patterns and could also be due to the way we do our pool graphing. How are you measuring latency?

May 28, 2019 | Registered CommenterSteve

just see in webui .
storage pool -- the read latency always > 1000ms and write 100-200ms

May 28, 2019 | Registered Commenterfred zhang

would recommend passing the devices through and not using hardware RAID. You can do that by going to the Controllers & Enclosures section and in there you can delete the hardware RAID unit and then pass-thru the devices so that you can create a storage pool with software RAID using QuantaStor's ZFS based storage pools. highly recommend using NL-SAS HDDs and SAS SSDs.. SATA drives can have issues though enterprise SATA is generally workable.

July 17, 2019 | Registered CommenterSteve