Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Community Edition restrictions, limitations, capabilities

Hi all,

I'm new to QuantaStor and I'm searching for actual information about the restrictions, limitations, capabilities of the Community Edition. In the license mail there are named "a number of new capabilities to our Community Edition" but no details. The only thing I know is that it's limited to 20 TB. That's enough for my requirements but what about the features like HA, grid etc.?

I want to install 3 nodes on 3 different VMware ESXi Hosts and use them as a file server with a single Namespace. All files on one node are spreaded to the other ones so that a maintenance or breakdown of one node doesn't matter. Is this possible with the Community Edition?

Thank you.

November 20, 2017 | Registered CommenterStefan Mössner

Hi Stefan,
That's not currently possible with Community Edition. We plan to make some changes to allow the creation of 3x node grids next year but the HA, DR, Global Namespaces, Backup Policies and other advanced features are not included in the Community Edition.
Best,
-Steve

November 20, 2017 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hi Steve,

thank you for answering so fast. What are then the capabilities of the Community Edition? Can you replicate data to a second Community Edition instance without 3rd party tools or extra servers doing the replication?

Is there a timeline for releasing a 3x node grid option to the Community Edition? What will it be worth without Data Replication or will then Data Replication be available?

Kind Regards

Stefan

November 21, 2017 | Registered CommenterStefan Mössner

The Community Edition doesn't support the formation of grids, no remote-replication, no HA features, and there's a 20TB raw capacity cap. We want to encourage the use of QuantaStor for Ceph deployments so we'll be making it so that 3x node storage grids can be created next year with Community Edition license keys. Timeline for it is Q1 but if you write us at sdr@osnexus.com we'll send you some special keys to enable that for you sooner.

Happy holidays Stefan,
-Steve

November 27, 2017 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hi Steve,

thank you for providing me the licenses. I installed the three QuantaStor nodes 10 days ago and added the licenses but the licensing task rests on the status "Queued". And so all other tasks won't be completed.

Maybe this has to do with the activation of the licenses? I've running a transparent proxy with SSL interception by a self signed certificate. Is this a problem for activating QuantaStor? I can configure an exception for the SSL interception. Which URL will be called for the activation? But even when bypassing the transparent proxy I can't activate QuantaStor. What can I do?

Thank you and

Kind regards

Stefan

December 13, 2017 | Registered CommenterStefan Mössner

Hi Stefan,
It sounds like something to do with the proxy server. Rather than activating the licenses via the proxy you can activate via email by sending the text block from the Active License via Email dialog. You'll need the key block for each of the 3 appliances. If that task is still hung at Queued try right-clicking on it to cancel it. If that doesn't clear it you might do a 'sudo service quantastor restart' at the command line to restart the management services which will clear out the task/mark it as failed. Last, we've got a known issue with IE & Firefox browsers with v4.4 which will be resolved on Monday with v4.4.1 so that could also be the issue with regard to it saying Queued.
Best,
-Steve

December 15, 2017 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hi Steve,

thank you for your information. It's a combination of both:

1. With Chrome the tasks will be executed immediately.
2. There shouldn't be a SSL interception on a proxy with a self-signed certificate for the URL https://licensing.osnexus.com for activating the licenses.

How do I get the update to 4.4.1 on Monday? Do I have to download it manually or will the update happen via the web UI?

Thank you

Stefan

December 15, 2017 | Registered CommenterStefan Mössner

Host Group creation failure

Host Group create failed. [Error: Sorry, this feature is not licensed for use with the Free/Community Edition. [err=51]]

so what else is not possible with community license

December 22, 2017 | Registered Commentermr rosh