Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Advised hosted servers

Hello,

With NAS software bringing ZFS/Brfs or so, using hardware raid is hardly not recommended.
What would be recommended then as a server by taking the example of dedicated storage servers proposed by OVH here :

https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/storage/
First i was interested in
FS-30T
CPU: Intel Xeon-D 1520 - 4c/8t - 2.4GHz /2.7GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4 ECC 2133 MHz
Disks: HardRaid 5x6TB
Delivered in: 120s
£139.19
ex. VAT/month

But it's about hardware RAID and on a general approach, i'm interested into feeback and advices about CPU and RAM as well, what server would you choose in that list?

September 21, 2017 | Registered CommenterKynao

Yes, we recommend that you use an HBA with ZFS based storage pools. RAID cards are usable but not recommended as you'll lose the bit-rot support by using the hardware RAID vs the ZFS software RAID. Looking at that web site there are a couple of servers there that have HBA connectivity to SAS disks which is good for QuantaStor and our ZFS based storage pools. Note that with 32GB of RAM the default cache will be small and it will impact performance. Better to start with 64GB of RAM or higher. Also, the Xeon-D will work but performance will be impacted in some cases esp with compression and encryption enabled.

September 23, 2017 | Registered CommenterSteve