Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > HP 385p G8 p420i HBA mode solution suggestions

Hi... i have recently acquired an HP Proliant DL385p G8 with 25 bays. it has a built in p420i smart raid controller that supports HBA mode. I tried to set it up with HBA mode on.
The problem is.. i can install Quantastor on the first disk ... but it wont boot off it. I think these servers only look for Raid logical disks to boot off when its on the Raid controller.

I would also like redundancy for the OS disks....so ideally hardware raid 1 for the first 2 disks would be good... but the raid controller will only support either RAID mode or HBA mode... not mixed.

I also installed a H220 internal HBA SAS controller. I can put both two SAS cables from the Raid controller ports to the HBA controller ports.. and i see all the disks... and i'm able to boot off the first disk. But i don't have redundancy.

So... i put the first SAS cable on the P420i raid controller and the other SAS cable on the H220. Now the first 13 bays are on the P420i and i can set up the logical disk for the OS on the first 2 bays.... leaving the other 11 bays unused. The last 12 bays are standalone disks that Quantastor sees.

I feel like there has to be a better solution where i can use all 25 bays and have redundancy for the OS drives
Theres also an internal SD card slot. but its not redundant.

Any suggestions?

July 5, 2017 | Registered CommenterJack Chen

Hi Jack,
Another option would be to internally mount 2x SSDs or SATA-DOMs for mirrored boot and connect them to the P420i via a SAS 8087 break-out cable. That way you could connect all the disks on the front plane to the H220.

Another idea.. if you have 2x unused PCI slots you could turn them into 2.5" hot swap bays then connect them to the P420i. Newegg: http://bit.ly/2tSqIlA

Best,
-Steve

July 5, 2017 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hmm thanks for the reply steve.. w/ the sata-doms i would need some kind of adapter for the SAS-8087 connector... they are both the same female connectors. Then theres the issue of where to get the power source from.

I do have 2 unused PCI slots. but i think with that visiontek bay.. i still need to connect a power source.. i have to do some more research on where to get sata power on these proliant servers

July 6, 2017 | Registered CommenterJack Chen