Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Error Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda

Hello Everyone,

I have ran into an a problem where GRUB keeps trying to install on /dev/sda. The problem is I choose a different disk during the install which is /dev/sdg.

The most interesting part about this is I had QuantaStor installed on this box in the v3.x days. There was no install issue at that time. Yes this is a white box used for testing so it may be hard to pen down the issue.

I am booting off a USB, and installing to a USB3 HDD. But after pulling all of the hard drives, and just leaving the USB3 drive attached with USB boot device, I was prompted to select where GRUB should be installed on. So it appears that if you have any hard drive installed it will default to installing to /dev/sda and not give you a choice, even if you select a different install device.

very weird. But after two days of troubleshooting this, I thought I might share my insight.

March 6, 2017 | Registered CommenterJordan W

Hi Jordan,
I think this may be due to the base installation media (Ub Svr 14.04.3 LTS) that we're using for the QuantaStor installer. I've opened a ticket with engineering and we'll write back once we have a bead on it. Thanks for the feedback!
-Steve

April 3, 2017 | Registered CommenterSteve