Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > How to migrate an existing file-based iSCSI LUN?

So I've been using a file-based LUN with a flash-based SAN system, with ZFS on top of it. Works fine, but no GUI :( I'd like to migrate this to OSN, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. FWIW, I went with file-based LUNs because ZoL still has performance issues with zvols compared to file-based LUNs. I understand there is a qs* tool to import and rename my pool (as well as the datasets these LUNs live on). But, how do I present the file-based LUNs? For that matter, does OSN even support this (as opposed to just zvols?)

February 23, 2016 | Registered CommenterDan S

HI Dan,
You can assign the LUN to the QuantaStor appliance by having the QuantaStor appliance login to your old SAN system. To do this first configure the old SAN system so that the IQN for the QuantaStor appliance is allowed to see your LUNs. Next, go to the Hardware Controllers and Enclosures section and then in the tool bar click to "Add iSCSI Software Adapter". That's going to create a virtual iSCSI Software Adapter which will login to your old appliance. After that you'll scan and login to the LUNs on your old appliance. Next you'll see those LUNs appear in the Physical Disks section. You can then right-click and choose 'Migrate Disk..' this will allow you to copy the LUN to a Storage Pool of your choice. Note that underneath it is creating an empty Storage Volume to match the size of the Physical Disk/LUN and then it does a DD to copy the data over. So it can take awhile to complete depending on the size of the LUN and network speed.
Hope that helps, apologies for the delay!
-Steve

March 24, 2016 | Registered CommenterSteve

Unfortunately, the HW appliance would be the same box. So, I'd have to svmotion everything off first. No biggie though...

March 25, 2016 | Registered CommenterDan S

Steve, getting ready to try out 4.0. Quick question (I didn't notice this when you first replied.) For performance reasons, I am using iSCSI LUNs based on files, not zvols. Is there a way to do this in the GUI, or do I have to use the CLI? If the latter, what is the right command to use? (if I were using straight up scstadm, I'd know exactly what to do, but OSN has its own CLI on top of bash?)

March 30, 2016 | Registered CommenterDan S

Hello Dan,

Great question!

For ZFS, Storage Volumes are provisioned as zvols to provide the backend block storage container.

File is available as a backend for the Storage Volumes if you deploy using an XFS Storage Pool. Do note that XFS does not have the Copy on Write, Bit-rot protection or instant snapshot features that ZFS would provide.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank You,
Chris Golden
OSNEXUS Support.

March 30, 2016 | Registered CommenterChris Golden