Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > QuantaStor on Bootable Live CD/ISO

Would it be possible to run QuantaStor on a bootable LIVE ISO or CD and have any configuration files save to a SATADOM or SD card on a server?

June 11, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDon N.

Hello Don,

If you know of a market where this feature is essential we would be happy to discuss opportunities but at this time the architecture doesn't support Live CD boot devices. The trade off enables management of multiple storage systems through a single login and frequent updates to the management interface without requiring a reboot and storage system downtime.

Thanks,
J.P. McGlinn
OSNEXUS Support

June 11, 2015 | Registered CommenterJ.P. McGlinn

What I am trying to get at and my goal is trying to replicate a turn key "storage appliance" that doesn't burn up precious hard drive slots for the boot OS.

Most storage appliances these days uses SATADOMs to store the boot OS and writes configurations back to the disks. SANs that come to mind that I have implemented - Compellent, Equallogic, NimbleStorage and Nutanix that uses SATADOMs or SD card for the boot OS.
More recently would be Nutanix, which is a distributed "cluster" system. However, each "node" in the cluster boots from an ISO and stores configurations back to the SATADOM and/or disks.

June 11, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDon N.

Hi Don,

Today QuantaStor does save a copy of the database on the storage disks, but the active copy is on the root file system. Nothing would prevent using a SATADOM but no engineering around write throttling has been made so endurance on the flash device would be a consideration when choosing a device. In support of that it might be wise to disable swap.

Another option is to use a RAID controller that allow slicing a small LUN out of a raidset and use that for boot.

Thanks,
J.P. McGlinn
OSNEXUS Support

June 12, 2015 | Registered CommenterJ.P. McGlinn