Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Virtual Appliance Hardware Requirements

I'm looking as an option to deploy Quantasto as a virtual appliance to better make use of my hardware so I can also run other virtual machines on my VM host.
My hosts is a Dell PowerEdge R720 with 128GB RAM, PeRC H710 with 4 x 1TB 2.5 NL SAS and 2 x 200GB Intel DC S3710 SSDs. VMware ESXi OS is installed
on a pair of mirrored SD cards. However I'm in a bind on how I should layout my RAID groups if needed or do a PCI pass through to the QuantaStor VM.

Also if I do a PCI passthrough to the Quantastor VM, it would have direct access to the PERC H710 card but I would not have any storage space to store my VMDK files for the QuantaStor virtual appliance.

Would I need two SAS/RAID cards or another pair of hard drives to store QuantaStor VMDK files for the virtual appliance? Or would it be better to just use an internal SAS HBA?

Help help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

April 26, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterDon N

Hello Don,

Yes, you will want to use PCI Passthrough to get the best performance from your Data drives to the VM QuantaStor Appliance.

I am not sure how much help we can be with the Hardware limitations you are running into with your config. It may be best for you to work with your hardware reseller to see if there is some way to add additional disk capacity that could be presented to VMware to solve the problems you are facing.

Thank You,
Chris Golden
OSNEXUS Support.

April 27, 2015 | Registered CommenterChris Golden