Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Quantastor Alerting

Hi

Can we setup additoinal alerts apart from the "Storage Pool - Low Free Space" alert in the Alert Manager.

I understand also PagerDuty is an option. What are customers typically doing with Alerting?

Is thier integration with other 3rd party tools?

Thanks
Steve

March 20, 2014 | Registered CommenterSTephen O'Brien

Hi Steve,
We don't have much for configurable alerts right now but we added an object type called "AlertTrigger" to the model for an upcoming release so that we can generically add a bunch of new alert triggers and make it so that custom alerts can be added and triggered. We also added some documentation to the Wiki on how to install some third party tools like Nagios and Zabbix which can collect some general system alerts. QuantaStor will raise alerts for various things including disk failures and such and this gets reported to the user via PagerDuty or via email to via their SMTP server. You can also write custom alert handler scripts to push alerts out via your own API, etc. Last, we added an SNMP agent but are still working on the documentation for it. The SNMP agent polls the service for new Alerts and converts those to SNMP traps so it's a pretty generic mechanism.
Best,
-Steve

March 27, 2014 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hi,

Do you know how the alerts are converted to SNMP traps? I am asking because there are no traps defined in QUANTASTOR-SYS-STATS MIB.
Thanks a lot.

Br,
Mary

September 9, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMary

The goal is to forward QuantaStor traps to Zenoss and then 'map' the OIDs to a human readable form.
Thanks again :)

September 9, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMary

Hi Mary,
Yes, inside the QuantaStor snmpagent we generate traps whenever a new alert is generated in the QuantaStor core management service. Our snmpagent polls the core service for new alerts once every minute and when a new alert is found the snmpagent sends this out as an SNMP trap. It also writes the UUID of the alert out to a file so that the alert is not raised as a trap multiple times.
Documentation on how to setup the agent to send out traps is available here.
Also note that we have an updated version of QuantaStor due out soon (ISO will be available for download on Friday) and it has a reworked SNMP agent that has a greatly improved MIB that is level 3 compliant using the Simpleweb MIB module validator.
Let me know if that answers your questions.
Best,
-Steve

September 11, 2014 | Registered CommenterSteve