Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Quantastor recommended sizing and IOPS

Hi

I am interested in using Quantastor with VMWARE 5.x

1) When will SRA adapter for Quantastor be available?

2) Are there any IOPS performance metrix / benchmark for Quanstor e.g. 1) those with Storage Performance Council 2) what IOPS can one expect with SDD / SATA / SAS drives or a combination of these

3) Are they any recommended configurations from a Quantastor server perspective from a CPU and memory perspective e.g. for 128TB Quantastor the recommended server requirement is 4 x CPUs and 16GB RAM

Thanks

March 18, 2014 | Registered CommenterMatt Lee

Hi Matt,
We're planning to add a bunch of VMware focused features this year like VAAI and work on a Storage Replication Adapter and other plugins for VMware this year as well. We're software focused so the IOPS and throughput of QuantaStor appliances varies widely based on the hardware it's matched up with. As such SPC membership hasn't been a focus but I think you make a good point. We should take a couple of reference configurations and run those through the SPC tests to give people a better understanding of the platform's capabilities. I've made a note of it and we may do that later this year.
As for recommended configurations we have some guidance here and here that you may find helpful. Specific to your ask on 128TB we would generally start that at 48GB of RAM and go as high as 256GB depending on how intensive the workloads are. 2x CPUs is generally fine, also higher GHz is more important for compression speed than is the CPU core count. For archive applications we'd recommend RAID6/60 with no SSD cache; for VMs and databases we always recommend RAID10 and ideally some SSD write cache to boost IOPS. We have a workflow sheet and a configuration sizing spreadsheet that you may find of interest so I'll email that over to you as it's not on our site yet.
Best,
-Steve

March 18, 2014 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hi Steve
Appreciate the feedback. I assume you are from OSNEXUS and you would have my email details (from registration process). Please send me the workflow and configuration spreadsheet sizing. Thanks ;)

Matt

March 19, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMatt

Steve,

I am interested in the workflow and configuration spreadsheet sizing as well. Can I get a copy?

Thanks
Gopi

April 29, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterGopi

Steve

Good afternoon, I was hoping to get a copy if the configuration spreadsheet as well.

Had a question on the number of storage pools that can be managed over a 2 appliance HA grid -- Is there a limit?

Regards
- Kamy

May 2, 2014 | Registered CommenterKamy Mantha

>Had a question on the number of storage pools that can be managed over a 2 appliance HA grid -- Is there a limit?
There's no limit to the number of pools. You can have Pool A, B, C on Appliance 1 and Pools D and E on Appliance 2 with fail-over setup for all the pools. There is a slighly higher failover time involved with a multiple-pool failover and we're currently working on optimizing that out.

>Good afternoon, I was hoping to get a copy if the configuration spreadsheet as well.
Sorry for the delay Kamy and Gopi, we'll have those over to you both today,
Best,
-Steve

May 2, 2014 | Registered CommenterSteve

Steve

Thanks for the response trying to understand the networking architecture for Quantastor appliance configured in HA grid. I understand that there will be a IP take over during a failover, my question is will all the VIPS configured for a given appliance be failed over to standby appliance.

I would also appreciate any links/ documents that can speak to network architecture for Quantastor
Regards
- Kamy

May 6, 2014 | Registered CommenterKamy Mantha

Steve

We are in the process of designing our prod infrastructure, could you please email the spreadsheet to email address in my profile.

Thank you.

Regards
- Kamy

May 6, 2014 | Registered CommenterKamy Mantha

Steve....would it be possible to send me that workflow configuration spreadsheet as well. We are looking at QuantaStor for some DB apps that will require a certain level of sustained IO

July 22, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterRon

Yes, apologies for the delay Ron and Kamy, we'll get those over to you today,
-Steve

July 30, 2014 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hi Steve,

I'm interested in setting up QuantaStor in a HA environment, with 2 server nodes and a shared JBOD.
This would be built with COTS hardware and mainly used for database access.

You mentioned a sizing spreadsheet that could be of good use for planning out this setup.
Could you please email me that as well?

In addition to that, is the list of recommended hardware here still up to date with the latest models?

Thanks!

September 18, 2014 | Registered CommenterDaniel Rimoli

Can I have a copy of the spreadsheet too?

October 26, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJoe

Hi Joe, yes we'll have a copy out to you in the morning.

October 29, 2014 | Registered CommenterSteve

Thanks Steve.

October 29, 2014 | Registered CommenterJoe Wong

Hi Steve, have you sent it to me already?

- Joe

October 30, 2014 | Registered CommenterJoe Wong

Hi Joe,
Apologies for the delay, we've now got it posted online here.
Best,
-Steve

October 31, 2014 | Registered CommenterSteve

Thanks Steve, I am interested in Row 16. How will the IOPS look like with that hardware spec with certain type of work load you have benchmarked with?

October 31, 2014 | Registered CommenterJoe Wong

Hi Joe,
I like to conservatively estimate 100 IOPS per HDD so the 32x drives would produce around 3200 IOPS for read and 1600 IOPS for writes. With the additional cache RAM for reads and SSD caching you could see upwards of 10K IOPS or higher depending on how often the workload gets successful cache hits. Can you share more information about the workload?
Best,
-Steve

November 11, 2014 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hi Steve,

Sorry I haven't checked back for awhile. My workload is NFS based which is around 45% read, 5% write and 50% others NFS Ops. I want to achieve 0.5 IOPS per GB . What is your recommendation ?

- Joe

December 12, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJoe

Hello Joe,

Specific IOPs tend to be limited based on the configuration of the disks in the Disk array or Storage Pool RAID.

A very good tool for calculating I/OPs is available at the link below:
http://www.wmarow.com/strcalc/

It lets you calculate the capacity, I/OPs and throughput based on the specs of the drive and the configuration you are looking to do for your RAID array,

Thank You,
Chris Golden
OSNEXUS Support

December 12, 2014 | Registered CommenterChris Golden