Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Black Screen when booting [SOLVED]

I have made several fresh installs on different harddisks, ssd and so on, but when installation is ready, and I reboot, I always get a black screen. Finally I found out that by typing exit and pressing enter, I was able to boot the system. I edited the grub configuration to see what was happening during boot, and now I can see that there is an error message: "Do you wish to start the degraded RAID", Neither yes or no works (no response from keyboard) and after a couple of seconds timeout and drops me into busybox, so I type exit and the system boots and there is no problem with my RAID according to QuantaStor Manager. I have tried to delete my RAID-configuration (RAID 5 on Adaptec 3805) and then I was able to boot without any errors, but when creating my RAID-volume once again and rebooting, the same problem reappears. I have nothing that I am afraid of loosing on my volume, so I am willing to try everything. As I have been evaluating a lot of storage solutions before QuantaStor, there might be RAID-information that I am unaware about on the disks. I have also tried different IDE-settings on my bootdisks without any luck. The three different disks I have tried for booting have not been attached to the RAID-controller, and the RAID-controller is not in the BIOS list of devices that can boot.

July 23, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterJens K

Hi Jens,
Nice triage work. So if I understand correctly it sounds like the existence of the Adaptec 3805 logical volumes is triggering the issue. Usually when you create a RAID unit with the controller BIOS it does not format the disks by default so the old data thats on there may be at issue. Try booting and going into the RAID BIOS for the Adaptec card, then create a new RAID unit, then do a full initialize on the unit to format it. That should help solve the issue. If not, try booting using the technique you noted above 'exit [ENTER]' then do a dd to the disk to wipe it:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdN bs=1M

That should clear any leftover metadata so that it doesn't cause issues at boot time. Let us know if that helps!
Best,
-Steve

July 23, 2013 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hi Steve!

The dd command worked perfectly, although it took hours before it was ready. I have tried to remove a disk from my RAID-volume and reboot to see if the problem comes back, but it doesn't, so everything is fine. Thanks for the help!

July 24, 2013 | Registered CommenterJens K

You're welcome, and thanks for the update Jens!

July 24, 2013 | Registered CommenterSteve