Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > mirroring or backing up root vol

I'm currently running the free edition of quantastor in an esxi environment. I was wondering if it is possible to either mirror the root volume for redundancy or to backup the necessary quantastor configurations to a secondary volume so it would be easily recoverable. thank you.

May 12, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterJean-Paul

Hi Jean-Paul,
Yes, you could certainly do that. You'd just need to follow the procedures for doing that with Ubuntu Server. Another option that's easier is to make a mirrored boot/system disk using a hardware RAID controller from LSI, Adaptec, etc.
Note that in the event that you have to replace the system/boot disk you can use the recovery manager to recover your old configuration very quickly though having a mirrored boot disk will provide better up-time guarantees.
Hope that helps and sorry for the late reply!

May 25, 2011 | Registered CommenterSteve

Also note, as of our v2.0.2 release QuantaStor detects and marks any hardware RAID unit that's being used as the QuantaStor system/boot disk. It also prevents you from accidentally deleting it, but you can view the unite in the web interface, identify it, replace a system bad disk, and QuantaStor monitors it so you'll know via email one of the mirrored boot disks needs to be replaced.

June 2, 2011 | Registered CommenterSteve