Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Can login via SSH but admin rejected

I just rebooted my quantastor and the admin account is not responding. I guess that I might have forgotten the password but seems unlikely.
I can log in with my default account and sudo successfully. Can i reset the password on the admin account via SSH? Any other thoughts?

March 1, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterRoy

Hi Roy,
Yes, you can reset the password at the command line pretty easy. Just stop the service, use the --reset-password option, then start the service like so:

sudo -i
service quantastor stop
cd /opt/osnexus/quantastor/bin
./qs_service --reset-password
service quantastor start

Here's the help page of commands you can do with the service. Most of this is for triage/debugging but resetting the admin password is in there too.

root@quantastor-fio:/opt/osnexus/quantastor/bin# ./qs_service --help

OS NEXUS QuantaStor Service 1.5.1.2315
Copyright (c) 2009-2010 OS NEXUS, Inc. All rights reserved.

Options:
[--daemon | --console] : Starts the QuantaStor service as a daemon or as a console session.

--ssl=true|false : Enables or disables SSL security, enabled by default.
--stdout : Print log output to the console.
--trace=info : Adjusts the trace level to one of: error, warning, info, debug, verbose
--thread-pool=N : Adjusts initial number of threads available to accept SOAP API requests, default is 20
--debug : Shorthand for options: --console --stdout --trace=debug
--reset-all : Resets the entire database back to factory empty state.
--reset-system-id : Resets the storage system table creating a new ID for the storage system.
--reset-system : Resets the all non-security related database tables.
--reset-history : Resets just the database tables containing historical information such
as alerts, audit logs, tasks, sessions, and volume utilization data.
--reset-security : Resets all security related information.
--reset-license : Resets all license related information.
--reset-quotas : Resets all quota related information.
--reset-pool : Resets all pool related information.
--reset-password : Resets the admin password to the factory default 'password'.

March 1, 2011 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hi Steve,

Allow me to jump in and ask two more questions for extra clarity.
1. is stopping (restarting) the quantastor service mandatory?
2. if so then what would be the impact on storage traffic? (e.g. iSCSI sessions)

It should not impact "production" in any way but I just want to have it confirmed.

Regards,
Paul

June 27, 2016 | Registered CommenterDACBARBOS Services

Hello Paul,

Thanks for posting, it should be noted that this post is for a specific users issues and the post was opened and resolved in 2011. For any issue you may be having directly with your deployment, we recommend opening a new post if you are running the QuantaStor Community edition, or if you happen to be an eneterprise customer, please contact your reseller or OSNEXUS for direct assistance.

I have responded to your questions below:

>1. is stopping (restarting) the quantastor service mandatory?
Yes, for a reset of the admin user password you will need to stop the quantastor management service. This is required as the service must not be running and accessing the database when the admin password is reset.

>2. if so then what would be the impact on storage traffic? (e.g. iSCSI sessions)
A restart of the QuantaStor service does not affect active client sessions for iSCSI and can typically be performed at anytime.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank You,
Chris Golden
OSNEXUS

June 27, 2016 | Registered CommenterChris Golden

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your answers. I'm sure many whom will be looking for them will be pleased to find them here.
As an innocent observation, I'd like to point out that I would have not asked if the manual was more insightful.
http://wiki.osnexus.com/index.php?title=QuantaStor_Troubleshooting_Guide#Resetting_the_admin_password

Regards,
Paul

June 27, 2016 | Registered CommenterDACBARBOS Services