Please enable javascript, or click here to visit my ecommerce web site powered by Shopify.

Community Forum > Network Configuration

Please post any questions you may have about NIC bonding/teaming, network configuration issues, etc, here.

September 3, 2010 | Registered CommenterSteve

Latest download trying to install on an HP DL180 G6 with 25 ssf disks and an extra 4 port Intel server nic.

Your install tries to guess the port connected to the switch and gets it wrong, why not ask which ports is connected or test for a link?

After plugging cables in and out, port 4 on the Intel nic has a link light, but it doesn't work. The os load pauses during the install, I assume to download patches or some such and eventually completes. On rebooting, (having deleted the data partition from the RAID adaptor as it would not reboot from the second logical drive), there is no IP connectivity.

Apart from not wanting to use the Intel nic for management as I want to bond 4 ports for a faster connection, where do I go from here to get a connection to the management interface.

BTW Nexenta install works out of the box and is nice and fast on this HP server.

September 27, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterMike H

Hi Mike,
We're working from Ubuntu Server 10.10 so we're just using the default installer logic for NIC detection during install. Once you have the install completed you can reconfigure the ports so that NIC bonding is enabled. We'll look into this to see if we can modify the install / preseed to allow selection of the NIC port.
It sounds like the driver for the Intel card needs to be updated as it doesn't appear to be working properly. Note that you can manually modify the network configuration just as you would on any Ubuntu Server system and I recommend getting the latest Intel NIC driver and installing that. Note that v2.0.11 now has the Intel 10GbE ixgbe driver added to the install boot kernel and the netboot kernel so that you can do network installs.
Sorry for the trouble, and the late reply,
Best,
-Steve

October 9, 2011 | Registered CommenterSteve

Found the offending part of the preseed.. this is selecting the first viable interface and attempts to set that up with DHCP. We'll look into pulling this in a future build.

d-i netcfg/choose_interface select auto

October 9, 2011 | Registered CommenterSteve

Hi Mike,
We're uploading v2.0.12.2854 with a fix to the above issue regarding network port selection. Now if you have 2 or more ports it will allow you to pick which one you want to use as the as the management port at install time.

Configure the network / installation screen

October 18, 2011 | Registered CommenterSteve

That build (v2.0.12.2854) is now available for download, thanks again for the feedback Mike.

October 18, 2011 | Registered CommenterSteve

Mike
Good afternoon, we are planning to use 2 QuantaStor Appliances in a HA grid.

I was hoping for some clarificationso n the network architecture.
Question 1- Is there a 1:1 relationship between a VIP assignment and a Storage pool if that is the case should an appliance assign a VIP for each storage pool to enable fail-over.

I am basing this conclusion on the HA tutorial (minute 11:08)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhChU9ODhnQ

Question 2 - do we need multiple NIC cards to support multiple storage pools+ management interface?

It would be great if you could respond ASAP as we are in the process of designing our production topology.

Regards
- Kamy Mantha

May 6, 2014 | Registered CommenterKamy Mantha

Yes, you'll need to assign one or more HA virtual interfaces (VIPs) to each storage pool. When you attach a HA failover virtual interface to the storage pool (technically it attaches to the Storage Pool Failover Group), the appliance will only allow iSCSI access via those VIFs irrespective of what is configured as iSCSI Enabled in the port configuration. This is because we must ensure that the iSCSI initiators are only connecting to the IP addresses that can failover.

> Question 2, do we need multiple NIC cards to support multiple storage pools?

You do not. You only need one NIC card and technically only one port to setup HA. Typically you'll have at least a pair though. Each HA VIF is attached to a physical port and you can have different pools with different VIFs all sharing the same physical interface (eg, eth0, eth1, etc).

Best,
-Steve

May 6, 2014 | Registered CommenterSteve

Steve

Thanks for getting back to me. based on the the questiion is it safe to assume that

For a HA configuration both SAN and NAS applicationsshould use the Virtual IPS of the storage pool for NFS mounts as well as the iSCSI and not the IP address of the QuantaStor appliance

Regards
- Kamy Mantha

May 6, 2014 | Registered CommenterKamy Mantha

We are setting up a Quantastore appliance in Softlayer for combined NAS and iSCSI SAN use. Have set up hardware RAID10 for iSCSI to create a storage pool based on that disk, and RAID60 for NAS to set up a NAS storage pool. iSCSI SAN LUNs are for Vmware hosts (ESXI 5.5) datastores, to be accessed over a dedicated VLAN for iSCSI. NAS access will be done over primary VLAN, same as the Quantastore mgmt interface. The appliance has two NICs set up in LACP bond, and both VLANs are trunked to that bonded interface. How do we set up a separate interface for iSCSI VLAN traffic - should a VLAN interface be set up on top the bonded interface, or a virtual interface?

Thanks,

Elena

December 8, 2014 | Registered CommenterElena Dimenstein

Hello Elena,

Softlayer is one of our Cloud Edition providers and they are the best resource to engage with regarding support questions for their networking infrastructure. Have you opened a ticket with Softlayer on this?

Regarding your specific questions.

> How do we set up a separate interface for iSCSI VLAN traffic - should a VLAN interface be set up on top the bonded interface, or a virtual interface?

To create a Vlan, you can use the Create VLAN Interface dialog.
http://wiki.osnexus.com/index.php?title=Network_Port_Create_VLAN_Dialog

By default network interfaces have iSCSI enabled, if you wish to disable iSCSI for a particular interface, you can right click on it and choose the Modify Network Port option, this will launch the Modify Network Port Dialog window as detailed here:
http://wiki.osnexus.com/index.php?title=Network_Port_Modify_Dialog

To remove iSCSI support from the interface, simply, uncheck the 'iSCSI enabled' option and click ok.

We would be happy to answer any more questions you may have for general use of the QuantaStor software via our support system maneged via e-mail at support@osnexus.com. The community Forums are for community use and are not the best way to get direct support from the OSNEXUS support team.

Again, if you have any specific questions about a QuantaStor deployment in the Softlayer cloud, it may be best to contact Softlayer support for their assistance.

Thank You,
Chris Golden
OSNEXUS Support

December 8, 2014 | Registered CommenterChris Golden

Steve,

Thank you for getting back to me. I'll open a ticket with Softlayer. However, it'd really help to know QuantaStor best practice to separate SAN and NAS traffic.

My main question is if it's possible to set up VLAN interfaces on top of a bonded interface, as it does not appear to be in the GUI - maybe it can only be done in CLI? If not, what's the recommended configuration for separating SAN and NAS traffic over redundant bond interface?

Thanks again!

Elena

Hello Elena,

Unfortunately, our best practices advise not to use bonded network interfaces for iSCSI which is not something easily done in Softlayer due to a limitation of available physical network interfaces.

For iSCSI, We advise using iSCSI multipathing which utilizes two or more individual network ports configured on their own vlan segments at the switch port. For the client in this configuration, they would need to have similar networking configured and have a means to enabled multipathing on the luns presented from the iSCSI target.

> My main question is if it's possible to set up VLAN interfaces on top of a bonded interface, as it does not appear to be in the GUI - maybe it can only be done in CLI?

Unfortunately we do not support bonded network interfaces as the underlying VLAN physical device via the GUI. However, you are free to setup the underlying /etc/network/interfaces file as you see fit, please note however that any custom network devices will not be managed via the GUI.

> If not, what's the recommended configuration for separating SAN and NAS traffic over redundant bond interface?

We do not recommend use of bonded network interfaces for iSCSI performance and redundancy as the iSCSI and SCSI protocols do a much better job of this when the path redudnancy is configured directly via physical links and combined together using iSCSI multipathing.

Thank You,
Chris Golden
OSNEXUS Support

December 8, 2014 | Registered CommenterChris Golden

Hello Chris,

Thanks again for getting back to me, and for the explanation of iSCSI best practices for Quantastor. To sum up, would the best solution per best practices be to add at least two more NICs dedicated to iSCSI, both configured on the iSCSI VLAN only at the switch port, and configure iSCSI multipathing on them in QuantaStor GUI? Can you recommend a reference for configuring iSCSI multipathing in QuantaStor?

Thanks!

Elena